Pages

Blog Archive

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Bunnies Have Arrived

Our breeding bunnies are here! The start of our homegrown meat production has started- or has it? In the past I have keep pet bunnies in movable runs on the ground which have been pulled around the lawn. As I mentioned in a previous post we haven’t had much luck with pet rabbits. Let me just say that none have died of old age. I think the calicivirus has got a few of them.

This time I am following the lead from my urban homesteading books I have from the States. They keep rabbits in a different way. I am hoping that this alternative way will keep the rabbits separated from any contact with the wild rabbit population. Even though we do live in a urban setting the boys have seen a wild rabbit in the school grounds next door.I have set up our rabbitry ( isn’t that a  strange name) in a fenced area which used to be a chicken coop and before that, a dog run. The idea is that the rabbits will be safe and secure in their suspended wire cages and they will be let out in rotation to exercise in the run.  Obviously not all together at once or else I may be overrun by rabbits!

We have bought one buck and two does. The buck was National Rex Champion, best in Show,2010, so we have greatness in our mists. They are all Rex breeds. These rabbits are the original Velveteen rabbit. Their pelt is like velvet to touch.  The breed was created in France in the 1920’s. This breed has been bred for meat and for pelts in the past but now is predominantly kept as pets in New Zealand. The Rex Rabbit is listed as a rare breed on the New Zealand rare breeds website. I wonder if this means I can still eat them? I bought these rabbits from a breeder just out of Auckland and they duly arrived in the PetBus. This is a  mobile pet courier service which travels the length of New Zealand delivery all manner of pets to their new owners each month. 

So anyway here's the thing. The boys each have a rabbit as a pet, but mummy is allowed the babies. The plan is to raise the babies for meat. Rabbit meat is extremely healthy, rabbits are quiet and demand only a small space, so are the perfect choice for an urban farm (or so the books say). Backyard rising of rabbits for home-grown, chemical free, fresh meat is becoming very popular in the States as more and more people are concerned about where their food comes from and the ways it is raised. Rabbits are ready for harvesting at around 8-10 weeks so the time frame is quick. 

 
  
All last week I have been busy making wire rabbit cages. I am going for the American method of keeping rabbits which is generally in suspended wire cages. The rabbits each have their own cage. The cages are easy to keep clean and free from strong odours as all urine and feces fall directly out of the cage to the ground below. The cages are made entirely of wire with no wooden framing which can also get soaked with rabbit urine and smell. The cages are elevated around 60cm off the ground. It is easy to just rake up the droppings each week and put directly on the garden. Rabbit droppings are one of the few animal manures you can do this with. Most other animal manure needs to be seasoned in the compost before applying directly to the garden.

The boys are very excited about the rabbits. They have each named them and help me feed them and give them playtime in the house or in the outside enclosure. I am letting myself get attached to these ones in the hope that I can dispatch the offspring. I hope I can do it! Otherwise we will have lots of pet rabbits for sale soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment