Pages

Blog Archive

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Who Wears The Pants In Our House? Chris, Janet or maybe Hugh?

Our family dynamics are probably not typical in many households. My husband Chris does all the food shopping, the cooking and the ironing. When he travels he has been known to prepare meals in advance for us as he fears we may be living on toast whilst he is away. I do all the bloke work around the home. I mow the lawns, fix leaking taps, change the light bulbs, build things and generally do all the DIY. The tool shed is certainly my domain. Chris would not know a square headed screwdriver from a Phillips- bless him. Anyway it works for us. The boys and I wait for Chris to get home and ask him what’s for dinner. As I don’t do the supermarket shopping I have no idea what’s in the pantry or fridge.

 I can see with this project I may have to be a little more prepared and do a bit more of the food preparation and cooking. In anticipation I ordered Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls new cook book Veg Everyday from the Book Depository. Incidentally the Book Depository is a great site to check out if you love books. It is based in the UK and they offer free delivery worldwide on all their books.


Veg Everyday will become my bible  for all my vegetable recipes. I figure I can slowly work my way through the recipes with the changing seasons. As I flick through the pages it reminds me of all the types of vegetables I should be growing and makes me feel like I should be out getting some new crops planted this minute.

My book arrives in just over a week. As I flip through my new purchase and inhale the lovely intoxicating smell of new book I can’t help but think this can’t be so hard. Simple ingredients, many of which are already growing in my garden, and simple instructions which I am sure even I can follow. Each recipe is accompanied by a glossy photo of what the dish is supposed to look like- a important tool for someone who prefers to wait for dinner rather than cook it!

No comments:

Post a Comment