Pages

Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ive Got Wwoofers (not dogs)


I recently had some Wwoofers stay. Wwoofer stands for Willing Workers On Organic Farms (or in my case organic urban gardens). It is an international movement and is very popular for backpackers travelling around New Zealand.  I am a first time woofer host so didn’t quite know what to expect. Basically a woofer comes and stays and for free board and food they work for a determined time on your property for you. Sounds like a win-win situation. My wwoofers, Catherine and Api, contacted me as Catherine was very interested in learning about Top Bar Beekeeping. They came complete with their own caravan, baby Tao and Chico the dog.

I think I hit the wwoofer jackpot. You couldn’t wish for a nicer couple to have to stay. I learnt so much from them regarding growing, seed saving and preparation of food. Api is Turkish and Catherine is Norwegian. Their plans are to return to Turkey and set up their own organic self-sufficient farm. Catherine was a natural with the bees too and loves the Top Bar Hive system.
My Top Bar Hive in my garden



Checking Frankie for size

Luckily they are both very practical (unlike Chris) so were very happy to help with preparations for the goats. I found a plan for a milking stand and they got to work building it for me out of recycled timber I had lying around the place. I do love those sorts of projects! A few days later I was presented with a work of art and craftsmanship. All made with hand tools, apart from a cordless drill! the goats love it too. Thank you Catherine and Api.




 Api also made me a pen to house the goats in at night. To keep them save from any dogs and warm in winter. Goat fences need to be tall and strong as goats are known as the ultimate escape artists.  I picked up some recycled pallets from the hardware store and furnished the pen with a weather proof shelter made from pallets and some corrugated iron .
Lolly lazing in her new shelter- I hope she likes it?

No comments:

Post a Comment