Pages

Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Trying to Squeeze Milk Out of A Stone

I’m trying to squeeze milk out of a stone! My goats are not exactly producing the amount of milk I was hoping for . Admittedly these girls were in the process of weaning their kids when I inherited them. Milking is exactly like breastfeeding I tell myself. It is all about supply and demand. I am desperately hoping that with a couple of twice milking days, their milk will start to really increase.

Frankie is so easy to milk. She now runs to the milking stand, jumps on up and starts to gobble up the grain waiting for her. This grain is like a treat and a thank you for giving her milk to us. She is very patient but I am pleased to report my milking technique is getting faster and faster. She is giving around 250mls in the morning and around 100 mls in the evening. Not exactly enough to make a milkshake let alone cheese.

Lolly on the other hand just doesn’t seem to like having her teats or udder touched! Can you blame her. She jiggles, jumps and tip toes around the milking stand doing anything to avoid not being milked. I ordered some goat milking hobbles from a local supplier. These hobbles are placed firmly on her back legs above her hocks. The idea is they put pressure on the tendons and stop the goat raising her legs or bucking. They certainly help encourage her to stand still. In fact she appears a little more relaxed during milking time which allows her to let her milk down and make it flow into my milking jug.  If you have a bucky goat try some of these they could help.

Lolly’s milk output is really poor. She is only giving around 100mls each time. Seems hardly worth the effort. I feel like I am robbing milk from her as she is so skinny with such a dull coat. I have decided to drench them both and stop milking Lolly so she can put on some condition. Lynda, who I got the goats from, had wormed them around a six weeks ago but perhaps with feeding twins and being infested with ticks they have just lost all their condition.

Spot the hip bones on poor Lolly.This girl needs beefing up!
Deciding that the girls need to be really well drenched for worms I go along to the local farm vet to buy some worm drench. When the vet nurse asks me how much they weigh I pluck a figure out of the sky. How do I know, it is not like I have been carrying them around like a pet poodle! Remembering the recent time when Frankie accidentally stood on my foot I randomly guess around 45-50kgs, thinking they can’t be much more heavier that out 12 year old overweight chocolate Labrador, Mocha.

The wormer drench comes in a syringe, bright blue and thick. Luckily the syringe can be easily slipped into the corner of their mouths and the blue syrup squirted down a struggling throat. Can now add drenching goats to my list of farm skills! Lolly walks around for the next day sporting a blue moustache.

For the next 5 days after drenching the goats we can’t consume the milk. I can’t bring myself to throw it out so decide to freeze it in the hope of making goat’s milk soap on day.

No comments:

Post a Comment